Monday, December 15, 2008

Higher Education?

This week I've decided to do specific research on the poverty situation in Michigan. But to do so I would have to tackle the horrors of Michigan's economy at the moment. That topic is a personal hot button with me and I decided to reflect on what I had learned at the AmeriCorps training a few weeks ago to get started.

Though the trainings were divided by region, there was an amazing amount of Michigan natives present at the orientation. It was encouraging to know that we have so much support, but as we went into deeper discussion about our personal situations we began to uncover a disturbing trend. Most of us were recent college graduates with big dreams and empty bank accounts. We had an interesting discussion about our lives and what we wished we had known a mere four years ago.

Our school system seeks to educate us so that we can enter society as knowledagble adults. We learn science, reading, math, and history to prepare us for this task. And yet many of us exit college hopelessly in debt, and though we appreciate all we've gained that fact alone casts a dark shadow over our first few years afterwards.

At the moment I don't have a friend who has less than $3,000 in credit card debt and tens of thousands in student loans. A class in financial literacy when entering adulthood is more than beneficial, it's neccessary. My facilitator at the AmeriCorps used part of his additional training stipend to take a similar course while in service. It is near impossible to educate others about efficient financial habits if you are not familiar with them yourself. He expressed shock and a small amount bitterness that he had not learned the even the simplest of financial management strategies in his past education. I couldn't help but agree. One thing I've learned in these past few weeks is that the impoverished have many faces, and that knowledge can prevent some of these unfortunate circumstances.

Now working with youth I've caught them at this pivotal time when I wish my education had included some more practical training. I can only hope that our research and awareness outreach inspires the students to stay informed on the issues. I know I will be encouraging them to take every opportunity to increase their knowledge of their own personal situations and options as well.

1 comment:

Brad Irwin said...

Fabulous post, Qolette! You are a very fine writer!