Friday, December 12, 2008

The Bad Guy

I had my first meeting on Wednesday and I don't know what I was expecting, but wow! Youth United is comprised of some of the most dedicated teens I've ever met. As they talked I couldn't help but try desperately to remember if I had even considered being that mature at that age. They impressed me with their obvious passion for what they were doing and the sheer amount of effort they dedicate while pursuing their studies as well. All of this should have made me elated, and it did to a degree, but as I listened to them recount weeks' worth of hard work I couldn't help but feel a tinge of dread. My first week here and my first duty was to explain to them that their dream of a LEED certified house was not going to happen for them.

I had attempted to lessen the blow by including a plan B, C and even a plan D option in their meeting agenda, but when the time came I just couldn't say the words. I asked their opinions and genuinely listened to the interesting things they had to say, but in the end it was Brad who had to drop the bomb. And the entire time he explained and gave a spectacular alternative, a home rehabilitation, I kept asking myself "Why couldn't I do that?"

Working with such motivated youth left me a little unprepared. I'd gathered all the research needed, created all of the documents, contacted the neccessary people, but mentally I just wasn't ready to be the one to dash their dreams. The positive parts of working with youth are easy to see on the surface, but many forget to mention the impact of huge disappoinments. Hopefully it's not something that I will ever have to become completely comfortable with as I plan to do everything in my limited power to prevent them, but realistically they happen. And encountering it the first week on the job helped me to understand how I can approach it in the future to the benefit of everyone.

No comments: